Stop 2 Statue of Kamehameha
Fig 1. Statue of Kamehameha. (Photo by Shandi Siegl)
The statue of Kamehameha (Fig 1) is located in Kapa`au, HI. The first statue was created in “Rome, 1879” (architect of the capitol) before being cast in bronze at “a Paris foundry in 1880,” (architect of the capitol). The bronze cloak represents the cape of yellow bird feathers that was made for Kamehameha. “The spear in his left hand symbolizes the ability to defend oneself and one’s nation; it is also a reminder that Kamehameha ended the wars among the Hawaiian people,” (architect of the capitol). This statue was lost in a shipwreck and a second statue was made and put in front of Honolulu’s Judiciary Building (architect of the capitol). The first one was later found and in 1912, was “placed at Kohala Courth House in Kapa`au, Kamehameha’s home district,” (architect of the capitol).